Home-Start Lambeth was set up in 1998 by a group of local people who wanted to see a Home-Start service established for families.
The organisation has an office base in the centre of the borough, near Brixton but staff and volunteers work across the borough visiting families in their homes.
1) Core support to parents with children under 5: Volunteers are matched with Lambeth-based families with children under five, to whom they provide weekly emotional and practical help. Support can be offered online, by phone, or in-person, including at parks and at the family’s house. Volunteers are given training and support to be effective and make a real difference to families in Lambeth.
2) Groups: At present, we have three different groups, as follows:
- Baby Rangers (babies under 1): Baby Rangers is a weekly virtual group designed for parents/carers to have fun interactions with their babies, as well as to connect with other new parents. Staff and volunteers promote a space for singing, play and encouragement by organising fun games and activities.
- Little Legends (children aged 1-5): Little Legends is a weekly in-person group where parents/carers can connect with each other while playing and learning with their young children. Staff, volunteers, and occasionally guest speakers promote a space for singing, play and encouragement by organising fun games and activities.
- Home-Start Lambeth and Whippersnappers collaboration: Whippersnappers is a local charity providing a diverse cultural platform through which SEN children and their parents can express and educate themselves through music, sports and art. By partnering up with Whippersnappers, Home-Start Lambeth volunteers support Lambeth-based families to attend regular whippersnappers groups.
Home-Start Lambeth is an independently registered charity and limited company, managed by a Board of Trustees who oversee the work and strategic direction of the organisation.
The Home-Start Lambeth staff team is made up of:
Susie Baker – Head of Service
Abigaile Kanini – Family Co-ordinator
Brenda Jones – Family Co-ordinator
Rebecca Rew – Administration Officer
Sophie Bannister – Volunteering and Communications Officer
Home-Start Lambeth is part of the Home-Start network of local schemes and adheres to a national framework of standards, which ensures high quality services across Home-Start. For more information about the Home-Start network, visit www.home-start.org.uk. If you have questions or are dissatisfied with the service you receive from Home-Start Lambeth please contact the Head of Service.